Saturday 11 May 2013

TESTING THE GROUND FOR A STATE-WIDE BOWHUNTERS’ BRANCH OF THE SHOOTERS & FISHERS PARTY

Increasingly Bowhunters are being targeted by the ant-hunting lobby. Our discipline has been maligned as cruel, irresponsible, even primitive, and as a bowhunter myself I am increasingly concerned that the liberty to practice my hunting discipline may be under even greater threat than that faced by shooters.

I believe it is past time that bowhunting had a strong, united, well-informed and relevant advocacy and policy development voice of its own, to rally behind the Shooters & Fishers Party’s efforts on our behalf.

One obvious and cohesive way to do this is by launching a state-wide Bowhunters Branch of the Shooters & Fishers Party.

For those of you concerned that this might in some way weaken S&FP, perhaps because you fear that it could be a divisive move, there is no need for concern. I have been chatting with the S&FP about the idea and if there’s enough support for such a branch, the Party is all for it. It would be embraced in much the same way the Party has embraced fishers as a stakeholder group with similar, yet at times divergent concerns and objectives.

What would it look like, and how would it benefit bowhunters?

At the present time the Shooters & Fishers Party's efforts to represent our stake in weapons ownership and hunting, is based largely on a combination of feedback from its general membership, and on a system of consultations through loose affiliations with external stakeholder groups. While this has been helpful to date, it may not be as sound a representative base as an bowhunters branch within the Party itself might be.


Of course setting up such a group within the Party need in no way diminish the value or relevance of feedback from non-archers within the Party, or even external stakeholders.

What it would mean, though, is that the S&FP would have ready access to a known and specific stakeholder group within, making it quicker and easier to obtain advice on important issues, such as policy and legislation, while perhaps also affording the Party a source of expert comment on occasions when our discipline is criticised by the media, or those who would see our rights diminished and our discipline over-regulated or even abolished.

I don’t want to be too prescriptive about the nature, purpose and benefits of an bowhunters branch of the Party. Determining what it might look like is, at least in part, the purpose of this field-up grassroots consultation. I will however go so far as to suggest that there are some basic yet important things to discuss and establish initially, and they are:
  • Does the sector (you) think there may be broad benefits associated with the development of a state-wide Bowhunters Branch of the Shooters and Fishers Party?
  • What would your expectations be of the branch in terms of representation?
     
  • What would its consultative obligations be e.g. strictly internal, or both internal and external to the branch membership?
     
  • What would the benefits be, as you see them?
     
  • What would the pitfalls be, as you see them?
Finally, and potentially the most vexed issue…
  • What would your expectations be regarding lines of demarcation? For example, would you expect that:

    (a) only archers would comment on archery and bowhunting related issues, and only shooters on gun and shooting related issues,

    (b) would you expect to be consulted on all issues pertaining to hunting and weapons ownership, regardless of the issue and/or the discipline?

    (c) a combination of (a) and (b) ?
Again I stress that this is intended to be a primer for discussion and debate, to assess support (or otherwise) for the idea. It is not intended to be an expansive manifesto or mission statement. 

If this consultation is going to have any integrity at all, it is important that we spread the word far and wide, inviting all stakeholders to contribute to the process. It is fine to discuss the idea on facebook and in other online and face-to-face fora, but it is even more important to register your feedback in one place, to make it accessible by all, and to give the S&FP in particular an opportunity to gauge support.

This will be difficult if we don’t adopt a central place to register our thoughts and views.

It is for these reasons that I suggest you register your feedback on The Hunters’ Stand blogspot, where everyone will be able view the progress of the discussion as it unfolds.

I will undertake to post all feedback lodged, without bias, regardless of whether it is for or against the idea, without amendment, but with one proviso...

I will moderate any abusive, threatening, needlessly profane or grossly offensive comments right out of the debate! With consultation and representation comes responsibility, and I think it best to begin as we mean to continue, embracing the highest levels of probity and ethics.

So there you have it, a bunch of words about what I think. But what do you think, that’s the important question.

I hope you’ll spare the time to share your thoughts below. Don't forget to open the little drop-down box under the comments window and select an identity. There are loads to choose from, including "Anonymous". If you want to leave your name or 'handle' select "Name/URL" and type in the name you wish to appear with your comment. You do NOT have to enter anything in the URL field.

If due to some glitch you cannot leave a comment below, you can email it to thehunterstand@gmail.com and I'll make sure it's posted for you. Just be certain to include a name or identity at the end of your comment, and that's the ID I'll post it under. 

Anyway, I’ll get outa ya way now….

17 comments:

  1. I can't believe we haven't done this before. Bowhunters need a voice like shooters if we dont want to wake up one morning and find the antis have stopped us hunting. Yes, do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would we have to join SFP to be represented by this branch? I support what SFP do but I belong to another party. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, I agree with Tom. The more people who make a firm commitment to the Party that speaks out on our behalf and in our interest the better! That said, obviously if a Bowhunters Branch got up, it would be striving to advocate in the best interests of bowhunting, as a specific disciple. If you follow the logic that what is good for bowhunting, has got to be good for bowhunters (and that’s the way I see it) the whole sector would gain, whether a member of the Party or not. I also think that any organisation that fails to listen to ideas or concerns simply because the person expressing them does not hold a party membership card is a fool to itself and a burden to its sector.

      Delete
  3. great idea - has my vote

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don - I'm a member of another party, but I joined up to the SFP because LAFOs, bowhunters and the like of all stripes have to draw a line in the sand.

    With the rise of extreme 'green' groups once we lose our existing traditions, we won't get them back in our lifetimes (or ever).

    Garry - all I would say from my own experience is that dividing everyone can be counterproductive. Why not just expand the SFP's push and get as many people of all stripes pulling together for the same cause?

    I recruited a new member to the SFP last night (Friday). Everyone needs to join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I think you have expressed a really important aspect of this exercise. Will try to communicate my take on the S&FP’s thoughts on this, but I need to be clear that I am not an endorsed spokesperon for the Party on this or any other matter.

      We would not be dividing the Party is all members of the proposed branch were members of it. But perhaps upon joining, bowhunters could ask to be affiliated with a bowhunters branch within S&FP, thereby forming ready pool of advisers for the Party’s MPs when a bowhunting issue arises. I’m not thinking we’d field a bowhunter specific S&FP MP for Parliament, but as I understand it, the MPs we have would appreciate knowing that they have a clear mandate to represent bowhunters, and that they’re doing it in an informed way, with clear channels of communication between themselves and bowhunters within the Party.

      The fact is (I believe) that bowhunting is an entirely different discipline to shooting, with vastly different rules, laws and legislation and a whole bevy of small (and largely silent) peak bodies, which to date appear to have adopted the position that if they don’t make waves bowhunters might be overlooked by the antis. This may have worked for a while, but we’re now well and truly on the anti-hunter and ultra-pacifist radar and we need to ensure not only that we have vocal representation to match, but that said representation is guided by us. In short, I am not suggesting that we need to do this because S&FP has been lacking in its efforts on our behalf, but rather because we need to help the Party to enhance those efforts, in a reliable, robust and structured way.

      Does that make sense?

      Delete
    2. G'day Garry,

      Expressed like that - it sounds like a great idea.

      I'm only just getting into bow hunting so I hadn't considered the different issues to LAFO hunters.

      More power to the SFP!

      Good on you for speaking up.

      Tom

      Delete
  5. Michael PicĂ´t11 May 2013 at 10:51

    Gary, fully behind this all the way. If this came to fruition i would hope and expect to be treated equally and have the same support that gun owners have not that we really dont have it now, i just feel that bowhunters are looked down on by a lot of rifle clubs organisations and rifle hunters themselves. All you have to do to witness this is see the rifle hunters in Tasmania’s views against bowhunters being allowed to hunt deer in that state. And yes i would expect to be represented by a bowhunter or someone who has extensive knowledge of bowhunting as i dont think many rifle shooters get us. Thanks again and let me know how this progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Browny and Borsak do a lot for hunting but it couldnt hurt to give them more input from our point of view. If SFP had a bowhunting arm I would join

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen Bowler13 May 2013 at 09:17

    Hey Guys, Stephen Bowler here, Membership & Donations officer for the Shooters and Fishers Party. If you are interested in having some membership forms posted out to you please email me at sfnw@popx.org.

    I would be only to happy to help organise a meeting here in NSW to help get the Bowhunting Branch off the ground. I know that the Borsak & Brown do consider the needs of archers in all aspects of legislation and believe me when I tell you that they in no way, consider you to be poor cousins of rifle shooters.

    The party is committed to all forms of outdoor recreation, hunting, target shooting, 4wding, angling, farming, abseiling, etc. No one sport is going to be left out in the cold or sacrificed for any other sports gain. Anyone who would suggest otherwise is blowing smoke up your A#$%!

    I look forward to hearing from you all.

    PS: I am very happy to come out to clubs to talk to their members about the Party and what we can do for each other. Check us out on Face book and our website if you want to know more about the Party.

    Warm Regards,
    Stephen Gerald Bowler.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephen,

    No suggestion that S&FP is failing to represent our interests, nor that it considers us poor counsins. The idea behind the Bowhunters' Branch is simply to strive to better support our MPs in their efforts on our behalf and to ensure that bowhunters who live outside Sydney (there are a lot of us!) also have a clear channel for communication with the Party.

    Garry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen Bowler13 May 2013 at 13:32

      Understood Garry, as I stated we would love to have a dedicated Bow Hunters Branch. Let me know what help you need and when you need it. Looking forward to helping you get it off the ground. :)

      Is this something we could look at achieving during Hunt Fest? Could I help organise a meeting either directly before or after that event? What are peoples thoughts?

      Stephen Bowler.

      Delete
  9. Thanks Stephen, I think it would be good to chat with you further about this. Alas, I'll not be in town come HuntFest. I'll be in the Hunter at a trad archery event - The Gathering.

    I am in the Emerald City once a month, and I would be happy to organise a meeting on one of these opportunities, if that suits you and others who may be keen.

    In the meantime, if you have some info you can share about setting up a branch I'd be grateful for it. I’ve sent you my email address under separate cover.

    Garry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gary

    I am interested in supporting this initiative. ado you envision that one day it may be Australia wide?


    Also I thought I read about this on AHI last night but now it is not there? Why was it removed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G’day Michael,
      Please excuse my ignorance, but while I’m sure that AHI stands for something bleeding obvious, it’s beyond me today. Can you give me the full I.D.?

      I have no idea why it might have been pulled down. I posted the link to this proposal far and wide, and I guess if some moderators on facebook and other places don’t support the idea they’re within their rights to remove the post.

      I think it would be great if the Bowhunters’ Branch could go national someday, if it has the legs to do so. I guess it will depend on support for the idea in the long-term. I’m not familiar with the Party’s views on embracing this initiative nationally, but I can say that my discussions with the NSW branch haven given me to believe that they will embrace the proposed NSW branch with open arms provided there is sufficient interest in it, and if there is benefit to the overall cause. Indeed they have been very clear in stating their support for all outdoors pursuits, as Michael demonstrates in his post above.

      In short, I can’t imagine other jurisdictions having a problem with supporting such a branch on their patch and as support and influence increases, why not take it national?

      Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  11. Garry

    No worries, AHN is the Australian Hunting Net. I was cruising the forums the other night and thought I would have a look at the links in the morning when I had more time. When I logged back on I could not re-find the thread. I must have been still half asleep as it is still there, I was looking for it in the political and bowhunting sections not the hunting section.

    I have 30+ years bowhunting experience in NSW and I at the stage in my life where the kids are moving out and I would like to give back in the form of help, if there is anything I can help with let me know.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I love the phrase, "if there is anything I can help with let me know". Will do Michael!

      At this point in time I think the main task is to talk with bowhunters about the idea... what are their expectations/concerns etc, and try to determine the level of support out there. This needn't be a NSW-centric process. The more input the better I reckon, especially if we hope to take it national someday. The important thing is gather the feedback together so we can develop a plan. Perhaps you could start by encouraging discussion in places like AHN and similar fora.

      As a matter of interest, where are you located? I'm in Bega (also known as Bovine Shangri la) on the NSW far south coast.

      If you'd rather chat direct you can email me at thehunterstand@gmail.com

      Delete

Your comments are welcome, and dont forget to recommend this post to a friend.

Thanks!